100% Design is collaborating with The Furniture Makers Company to promote British Design Excellence through the Design Guild Mark.
The Design Guild Mark, introduced by The Furniture Makers Company in 2008, recognises and rewards excellence in the British design of furniture in volume production. In this fifth year there were a very high number of applications and the design of most of them was exceptional.
This year seven of the twenty seven awarded products have been selected for display at the exhibition:
• David Chipperfield – ‘Piana Alessichair’ for KI DGM 49
• Sebastian Conran Associates – ‘Aerofoil’ Desk & Bureau for John Lewis DGM 52
• David Fox – ‘The Magic Stool’ for Boss Design DGM 58
• Marc Krusin – ‘Krusin Chair Collection’ for Knoll International DGM 66
• Simon Pengelly – ‘Theo Chair and Range’ for Chorus Furniture DGM 70
• David Young – ‘Animate Writing Desk’ for Young & Norgate DGM 73
• Zoeftig Design Studio – ‘inFINITE Seating System’ for Zoeftig DGM 74
As explained by Jonathan Hindle, the Founding Chairman of the Design Guild Mark:
“The Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers introduced the Design Guild Mark to reward the finest furniture designers working in volume production in Britain and the best of British furniture designers working abroad.
The criteria requires excellence in four fields – design, the use of materials, manufacture and function. Interestingly it is becoming apparent that by raising awareness of design and British design talent, the industry as a whole seems to be becoming more design led.”
Design Guild Mark “Call for Entries 2013” will also be launched at the exhibition. To find out further information about the submission procedure and view some of the awarded products visit feature: L152